As most of you know by now, I run DTI’s 24 hour emergency data recovery support line. I get a lot of calls at all hours of the day and night from people and companies that didn’t have a proper data backup solution in place. Recently my wife Victoria and I have been posting articles about the different types of data backup we have been trying out. We have been researching external hard drives, NAS devices, DVD backup, imaging and recovery and restoration software. Today I am going to review one of the better pieces of backup software that we have been trying out: Backup Platinum. This and all of our reviews are our opinions and recommendations and don’t represent any relationship between the products and services and dtidatarecovery.com, Inc.
Backup To DVD – CD-RW – USB – FTP – LAN Software
There are many programs that backup to DVD including the systems that come standard in most computers like Dells and HP. The thing they have in common are their limitations to backup to other media. This is one of my favorite features of Backup Platinum. I can use their easy to comprehend set up wizard to backup my data to my USB devices, over the network to my Buffalo NAS, or better yet to my off site webservers through FTP! Not only do they offer “on the fly” compression, but more importantly 128 bit encryption with Blowfish. The cool thing is you can use the encryption either together with the compression or separately.
As far as installation and set up goes, it was a piece of cake. Even the most advanced functions like setting Backup Platinum as a Windows service was easy. This is an important feature since when it is set up as as a service it will backup computer files whether you are logged in or not.
Once installed I then set up the scheduler. Another great feature, the versatile scheduler allows for quite a bit of flexibility in the times when you want the backup software to run. You can even set up different days and times for different files! I found this particularly useful when addressing my email backups. There are some files and folders that don’t need to be backed up as often as others, as well as other incremental backups that need to be performed often.
For those that don’t have the capabilities to backup to DVD, they have the answer for you! With the CD-R and CD-RW capabilities, Backup Platinum can span files that are larger than the capacity of your CD. They make it very easy to organize your CD’s by automatically splitting the data sets.
Backup Platinum Features:
- Full CD-RW and DVD support with disk spanning
- Backup and synchronize with LAN and FTP
- Integrated ZIP compression
- 128-bit encryption with Blowfish
- Flexible and powerful scheduler
- Can run in service mode on Windows NT/2000/XP
- CRC verification when writing on CD/DVD
- Quick erase option for CD/DVD
- Speed selection for CD/DVD burning
- Flexible file selection and file masks handling
- Multi-threaded transfer engine that executes backups in the background with minimum system resource consumption
- Command line interface for professional users
- Ability to store multiple versions of backup files with timestamps
- A number of options to specify default actions executed without user interaction when running in service mode
- Option to run backup on log on/log off
- Options to set any other program to run before or after processing an item
- Backup of selected registry keys
- MD4/MD5 password authentication for FTP servers
- Import/export of all settings and registration status
- Option to restore to a folder different from the original one
- E-mail notification about operation results
- Support for SMTP servers requiring authorization
- Ability to choose priority for the background backup process
- Option to wait N minutes after logon before processing backups
- Activity log in RTF format with the option to automatically ZIP old log files
- Choice between more and less detailed log view
- Windows XP compatible user interface
I would recommend Backup Platinum to anyone that values their data. Created bySoftLogica LLC, who focuses on the development, marketing and support of file and network management tools and utilities.
In conclusion if you are looking far a backup solution and want to avoid data recovery, I suggest you give Backup Platinum a shot. They have a fully functional 30 day trial, so download a data backup demo and give it a test run!