Hard drive recovery profile: Western Digital. Every now and then we are going to profile products from the major hard drive manufacturers. This is the first in the series of a closer look at Western Digital. I have to throw in a disclaimer that we are not endorsing any hard disk over another. The fact is no matter who you choose to buy a hard drive from, they will all fail. Learn more about “Why Hard Drives Fail”. Keep in mind that it is important to back up your data and avoid hard drive recovery.
While it is true that we offer a discount to Western Digital hard drive customers on WD hard drive repair that is because they authorized our data recovery lab as worthy enough to open their drives without voiding the warranty. You can see our company on the Western Digital Authorized Data Recovery Companies page.
If we take a look at the amount of hard drives that are sent to us for data recovery, no one company has more failures than any other. Companies like Maxtor and Western Digital (Seagate now owns Maxtor) have a similar market share. That being said we get in about an equal amount of both. Cnet lists the most popular drives here:
|Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 – hard drive – 80 GB – ATA-100
|Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 500GB External Hard Drive
|Western Digital Caviar SE SATA 80 MB/s 120 GB Hard Drive|
|Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250 GB hard drive|
As you can see Western Digital has 3 out of the 4 most popular hard drives being sold on cnet’s website right now. The best being the My Book 500GB. This is a great drive all around and is perfect for use as a primary backup device to prevent data recovery services.
- Easy to set up, easy to use — This drive is all about simplicity. Plug it into your computer’s USB 2.0 port and start saving.
- Intelligent drive management features — The My Book drive turns itself on and off with your computer.
- Smart design — The elegant case, iconic of a book, takes up less space on your desk, stacks horizontally, and allows two or more drives to stand neatly together like volumes on a shelf.
- High quality hard drive — Inside the case is an exceptionally fast, ultra quiet, cool-running hard drive from Western Digital.
- Free Google™ software — Search your drive, manage your photos, and simplify Web searches with included Google software. Note:Google software is compatible with Windows 2000 and XP only.
These are just some of the features. Here is a link to the 3D Tour of the drive.
It is pretty cool looking as well as being functional and it looks real good next to my husbands X-Box. We just got ours today and so far it works great! I transfered about 300GB of compressed FLAC files over to the drive, then decompressed them. The drive performed admirably and never slowed down. If you are looking for a solid back up solution, the My Book Essential is a great way to eliminate the high cost of hard drive recovery!
Next on the list is the Essential II which holds 1TB and is less than $600.00!