Windows Explorer: How to change files from Being Hidden
In my last windows explorer tutorial I explained how to open Windows Explorer, now I will start showing some of the functions people need to know. A lot of time a file we are looking for just doesn’t seem to be where we think it should be. This may be attributed to the fact that the file is hidden. In order to unhide these files here are the steps.
1. Open windows explorer (please see my other tutorial)
2. Click on “My Computer” in the left hand window.
3. Select one of your hard drives. In this case I have selected the “C” drive.
4. Now go up top to “Tools” and select “Folder Options”
5. Now click on the “View” tab along the top and you should see “Folder Views” and “Advanced Settings”
6. Scroll through the advanced settings until you come across something that says “Hidden Files And Folders” and under it should be radial buttons to allow you to select “Show Hidden Files” (see picture below)
7. Now just click the OK button. You may get a warning from Windows that this could be dangerous, because now you will have access to system files. If you think this is bad idea because you may delete them then I recommend that you don’t unhide these files.
That is all there is to it. In the next Windows Explorer tutorial I will go over how to see all of your USB mass storage devices this way.